Many months ago, I bought the wrong yogurt (plain instead of vanilla) for Em and Ro’s breakfast. Since I had purchased a large container, I used most of it for baking and had a bit left to experiment with. This yogurt marinade recipe is probably the most tested and retested recipe I’ve ever done… trying to get it “just right” and so I hope you love it as much as we do.
A note on the ingredients, well, one ingredient specifically. Everything in the ingredient list can be purchased at your local grocery store except for the Penzey’s Sate Seasoning. I found this spice mix quite some time ago and find it to be much much easier for quick mid-week dinners than using all the spices individually. Penzey’s is my own personal choice and I’m not paid or endorsed by them (oh how I wish!) and I feel having this in your kitchen will prove to be worth it. Just my two cents.
Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- 2 Pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp. (1/4 cup) Penzey’s Sate Seasoning
- 3 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt plus 1 more tsp. salt set aside
- scant 1 tsp. white pepper
- Combine yogurt, onion, Sate, garlic, olive oil, 1 tsp. of the salt & pepper in the smallest dish that will hold the chicken breasts. Preserve 1/2 cup of marinade in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for basting later.
- Coat chicken breasts in remaining marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. 6 would be better.
- When ready to grill, take chicken and remaining marinade out of fridge to come to room temperature while your BBQ is warming up. Set BBQ to medium.
- The chicken will be thickly coated with the yogurt marinade and that is fine. Place on BBQ and set your timer for 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken and baste with 1/2 reserve marinade and 1/2 remaining salt. Set your timer for 7 more minutes.
- Turn chicken final time, baste with marinade and salt. On average, the chicken will only need about 2-3 more minutes of time. Transfer to a plate and let sit, covered for 5 minutes.
- Your chicken should be juicy, tasty and perfectly cooked! Serve with BBQ’d potatoes, a sweet bowl of cut melon and a simple salad.
- If you have any chicken remaining, refrigerate pieces whole. The flavor will be enhanced overnight and is a perfect cool accompaniment to a salad or warm Naan bread.
That’s it! Again, I hope you love it as much as we do. And if not, feel free to change up the ingredients and concoct a marinade of your own! 🙂 Happy Grilling!