I am slightly, slightly addicted to the croutons and crisps sold at Trader Joe’s. Sourdough bread, oven toasted with garlic and Parmesan cheese… the simplest of yum yum yummyness! So, what’s a gal to do when the craving for these hits when home with two sleeping munchkins? Make my own of course!
While I am sure there are plenty of recipes both in my library and on the internet that I could follow, I felt this was something I could pop together quickly, so here is what I came up with.
- Sourdough bread, cut or torn into 3/4 inch squares– about 2 cups
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic, smashed, lots of it
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper, spread out bread
- Drizzle olive oil over bread and toss with hands to coat
- Spread out garlic and Parmesan and toss again
- Bake for 7 minutes, take out and toss
- Bake for 7 more minutes, take out and test crispiness. If needed, bake 2 or so additional minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Try to let the croutons cool long enough to make it onto your salad!