With our garden producing pickling cucumbers at a rate of 2-3 per day, I had to come up with a way to keep them! This fast recipe does not require any special canning supplies and will make one full pint (or two half pints as seen above) of pickles that will keep in the refrigerator for about a month.
Ingredients and Supplies
- 1 clean pint, or 2 clean half pint Ball or Kerr jars… or a very very clean glass salsa or spaghetti sauce jar will work.
- Fresh pickling cucumbers, washed, about 5 or 6
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or several sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice (I use Penzey’s)
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- Slice cucumbers about 1/4″ thick, set aside
- Combine sugar, onion, garlic, dill, salt, picking spice and vinegar. Make sure sugar is dissolved.
- Put cucumbers in jar (jars) packing lightly
- Fill jar with vinegar mixture to top. If you are splitting into two half pint jars, you might need about 2-4 tablespoons of water
- Cap tightly and place in refrigerator