A few days ago, I took my sons for a quick treat to See’s for a lollipop and HAD to have a Butterscotch Square. The candy did not even make it out of the store… heck, it didn’t make it into a bag! It went from under the counter, to the employees hand and scale for measuring and right into my mouth! Well, not the whole thing. I will spare the food play-by-play, but let’s just say, my kids were quite amused with how slowly and quietly I stood there for about a minute just nibbling on that sweet concoction of brown sugar and milk chocolate.
- 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/4 tsp. baking powder 2 cups and 2 tblsp. all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur Flour) 1 3/4 sticks (14 tblsp.) cold unsalted butter (I use Land O’Lakes) 1 3/4 cups tightly packed dark brown sugar (light is okay, but dark is better) 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk 1 tblsp. single strength vanilla (I use Penzey’s) 2 4oz. Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Bars (Semi-sweet is okay)
You will also need parchment paper, a stainless steel skillet, a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon, a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup or other steep sided microwaveable cup and a wire rack for cooling cookies and chocolate drippings.
Also, this is a bit of a process. While one batch is baking, another will be cooling and a third can be taking its’ chocolate bath.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Combine salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the 3/4 stick of butter into 6 pieces and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 stick of butter in stainless steel skillet on low heat. Stir butter until it is brown. DO NOT LEAVE BUTTER as it can burn quickly! It will brown in about 2 minutes depending on your stove. Pour butter in medium glass bowl. Add remaining butter, stir to melt.
- Add brown sugar to butter and combine.
- Add vanilla and eggs and combine. There should not be any clumps of brown sugar.
- Add half of flour mixture and stir until just mixed in. Add remaining flour and mix and scrape sides down until you have a pretty ball of dough.
- Take 1 teaspoon of dough at a time and roll into balls (see photo) and place on cookie sheet, each ball about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for exactly 9 minutes. Take out and let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat until all dough is used, making about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Melt 1 bar of Ghiradelli chocolate in microwave according to directions (double boiler is fine too). Use second bar as needed.
- Dunk cookie about 1/3 of the way, turn and dunk again, making kind of a Pac-Man looking shape with the chocolate.
- Transfer back to wire rack to cool.