Everyone in my house is sick. We’re all stuffy and achy and coughing and sleepy. It is in times like these that a mommy can get stretched a little too thin… and the perfect time to nibble out a few minutes for yourself!
I promised myself as part of my New Year’s Resolutions to make time for me. Some days I’m great at it… other days not so great. Some days I have to work to make that time for me.
Last night I took out one of my favorite recipes that I concocted a few years ago for Pear Bread. It is a simple and not overly sweet cake-like treat I used to make when Em was a baby and baby food was always in the house. Now that both boys are older, I only keep pear puree on hand for this special bread. It takes about 4 minutes to whip up, 47 minutes to bake, and as much or as little time as you have to enjoy it!
Pear Bread – Makes 16 adult or 32 kid sized slices
Can be doubled to make two loaves and freezes well if wrapped tightly.
- 1 1/2 cups regular white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon or a bit more cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 9 oz. Gerber, Stage 3 Pears (1 full jar and 1/2 2nd jar)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Butter bottom and sides of a standard bread pan
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
- Add eggs to bowl and stir a few times, but not fully mixed
- Add pear puree and mix completely
- Put batter in the bread pan and bake for 47 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
I love pears, but this could easily be made applesauce or apple puree as well. To treat yourself a little more, serve on a nice plate with a cup of tea… I’m enjoying mine with Tangerine tea on my great-grandmothers china right now. 🙂 ‘Ya gotta spoil yourself sometimes!!