Temperatures are topping the 100 degree mark here this week so all of our dinner making moves outdoors. One small thing is made indoors and can be done early in the day before it gets too hot to use the stove. Or, you can just buy that one thing pre-made and keep your indoor kitchen cool. The preparation may seem long, but it’s really not… I just wrote every step out so you can see how everything is ready-to-go at the same time.
Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salad with BBQ Baked Potato
(serves 2 adults and 2 children)
For the grilled chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt or other coarse salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 3-4 8 ounce Idaho baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. coarse sea salt or other coarse salt
- Unsalted butter, sour cream or toppings of your choice
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 pound ripe strawberries
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts (pre-made or make ahead)
- If making, need 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- On dinner plates, place chopped romaine, candied walnuts, and sliced strawberries
- Bring potatoes in from BBQ, slice open and place on the side of plate (see photo up top). Add toppings as you prefer but honestly, these only need a pat of butter. The salt from the outside is deliciously crunchy and will find its’ way in to the potato adding a smoky salt punch.
- Slice cooled chicken and put on top of salad. Sprinkle white cheddar over chicken and salad.
- Lightly dress with balsamic vinaigrette and serve.